The book I am reading is Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson. The rhetorical device that I am interested in using for my research project is the analysis point of view. I’m interested in this topic for a few reasons, one being that Bryan Stevenson himself has faced first hand the unfairness in the Justice System and two he was raised in poverty in a very segregated neighborhood. A quote that really stood out to me was “We are all broken by something. We have all hurt someone and have been hurt.” I like this quote because I feel like there are points in this book where people are unintentionally hurting Bryan Stevenson but also at the same time not.

The only disagreement I would have for this story would have to be that since he is colored, he could have a little bit of a more harsh and biased approach towards the unfairness in the Justice System. I am not saying that he is wrong in any way I’m just could see their being some portions of the book that are a little bit more biased than they actually should be.

3 thoughts on “Just Mercy”

1. Interesting perspective of what the novel Just Mercy has to offer. I totally agree with you of how point of view could heavily impact the tone towards one specific subject; the author Bryan Stevenson witnessing unfairness in our judicial system deliberately displays that our society still has reform to take place, establishing fair ground in this system, ironically which isn’t just. Finding the point of view of the author is important, but also try and find his purpose of including such narratives that display his emotion towards the unfair Justice System. Enjoy reading Just Mercy! I’m interested in what this book has to offer, morals and words of advice-wise, so can’t wait to take a bite out of this book later!!

2. Hi Mack,
    I think point of view is a very interesting and unique rhetorical device to choose. I’m interested to see how you formulate your research project because it seems like there is good potential in your novel surrounding this device. I think the point of view idea could be even stronger if you focused on other characters in the book too, are there any people in the book with opposing opinions from Bryan? If you analyzed both viewpoints in your paper, it would be top tier. 😆🅱️🤔👌😊

Your thoughtful peer,
    Cole